Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Q: My bike is giving me yeast infections! A: Ride your boyfriend instead



Dear Go-To Girl,

I am a cyclist and get frequent yeast infections, both internal and now external. This basically means I have a DIAPER RASH all over my butt, vagina, and inner thighs! My questions is that I REALLY want to have sex with my partner, so if the internal infection is subsiding, but the rash is in full flare, is it just stupid to have sex? I'm on cream and Diflucan, btw.

Love,

Abstinence is Killing Me

Dear Abstinence,

Wow. How unfortunate that God would punish you for being in such good shape. I moonlight as a Spinning instructor, so I know about the beating your Area can take when you bike a lot.

Yeast infections are caused by an overgrowth of yeast in the vagina which can be caused by a number of things but usually happens when there's been a change in the vaj's pH or you've worn, as I'm guessing in your case, the same pair of tight, super-sweaty bike shorts all day. The vagina is a delicate place and needs air to stay healthy.

While I am loath to ever recommend abstinence, sex under these conditions might make the irritation worse, so it's up to you to decide whether or not you can stand another couple of days of chastity. Fucking with a yeast infection won't kill you and it might, er, scratch your itch in a way that nothing else can.

If you do decide to go ahead and scratch your itch with your partner, make sure you use lots of lube and condoms. You don't want to add to the irritation by rubbing off more skin and semen is the very last thing you want to introduce into your vaj at this point. See this post for more on that.

Cringing and cross-legged,
Go-To Girl

No comments: