Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Summer Reading Spectacular

So I was at the beach this weekend and I had with me a couple of books that I feel obligated, as both a sex expert and a literary gal, to tell you about lest you find yourself on the beach and in need of reading material.



Thug-a-licious, by Noire.
I have seen lots of people (ladies, mostly) reading this on the subway and being admittedly totally unaware of the black erotic fiction genre, I was super excited when I found it in the fiction section of the library. So I picked it up. It's about a guy who is an amazing basketball player and rapper and has like 9 kids and a steady girlfriend and is running around Harlem fucking girls and settling scores.

That's about the size of it. The sex scenes are way more graphic than what I would've expected to find in the public library. I give this book an 8 for entertainment and a 10 for being a fantastic conversation starter, especially when you're with people you've never met before.




The Book of the Courtesans
, by Susan Griffin.
Obviously, I mostly only read books about sex. This book is a historical account of courtesans in Europe and makes it seem like a pretty badass lifestyle. Having sex, collecting jewelry, not having to be married, exerting undue influence on important political leaders--sounds right up my alley.



1984, by George Orwell.
I managed, somehow, never to have read this in high school or college. So I'm giving it a shot as my "serious" summer reading book. I haven't started it yet, but I'm looking forward to realizing how many literary jokes I've missed out on over the years as a result of not having read 1984.

No comments: